The Richmond Olympic Oval is a breathtaking venue on the banks of the Fraser River and winner of the Institution of Structural Engineers top award for Sports or Leisure Structures. Home to long track speed skating during the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, the Oval has been transformed into the legacy vision first conceived by the City of Richmond in 2004 – an international centre of excellence for sports, health and wellness, culture and entertainment used by members of our community and those seeking to wear the maple leaf on the international stage.
Home to Canada’s Only Olympic Museum – featuring hundreds of inspiring Olympic artefacts, world-class sport simulators and fun activity challenges – the Olympic Experience at the Richmond Olympic Oval allows you to experience sport and activity like never before.
The Oval has been voted Best Sport Adventure Centre 2012-2016 (Georgia Straight) and the Olympic Experience as one of Canada’s Best New Attractions 2015 (Where Magazine).
Official Training Centre for
- Volleyball Canada National Women’s Team
- Table Tennis Canada
- Speed Skating Canada
- Wheelchair Rugby Canada
The Richmond Olympic Oval facility is 512,000 square feet and consists of:
- 20,000 sq ft Fitness Centre
- Over 200 pieces of strength and cardio equipment
- Over 40 complimentary drop-in fitness classes per week
- Personal training
- Free drop-in time on sport courts, running track, ice rinks and climbing wall
- Hundreds of sport programs and fitness programs for all ages!
- Dozens of high performance programs for adult recreationalists and athletes!
- 2 Olympic sized ice rinks
- Badminton courts
- FIVB regulation volleyball courts
- FIBA regulation basketball courts
- FIFA regulation indoor soccer fields
- International sized table tennis tables
- 200 m 5-lane running track
- 110 m 5-lane sprint lane
- Indoor Rowing + Paddling Centre
- Four Story Climbing Wall with > 30 routes
- Batting Cages
- 2 YYoga yoga studios
- Lifemark Sports Medicine
- Centric Health Pharmacy
- Family practice doctor’s office
- Canadian Sport Institute Offices and Athlete Testing Laboratory
- ROX SHOP Retail Store
- On site concession
The City of Richmond (the “City”) has engaged the Richmond Olympic Oval Corporation (the “Corporation”), to embrace and deliver:
- The City’s Vision to be “the most appealing, liveable, and wellmanaged community in Canada”;
- The Project Vision for the Richmond Olympic Oval (the “Oval”) to be “an outstanding centre of excellence for sports and wellness at the heart of an exciting urban waterfront”; and
- The Project Mission to “transform our City by blending the spirit of Olympism with inspired leadership, and seamlessly combining a world class site, a sport and wellness agenda and innovative community planning to create the premiere legacy of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games” (the “Games”).
Operating Agreement Objectives
The City and the Corporation are parties to an operating agreement dated July 1, 2008 (the “Operating Agreement”) wherein the following four objectives are noted:
- the Oval will provide facilities, programs and services for quality sport, fitness, recreational uses and wellness services for the Richmond community, neighbouring communities and the general public;
- the Oval will provide facilities for non-sporting, community and entertainment events;
- the Oval will be developed, used and promoted as a training and competition facility for high performance sport; and
- the Oval will provide ancillary commercial, retail, health and wellness services to enhance its use in respect of the activities set out above.
Please click the following link for more information on our Board of Directors.