This is definitely an indulgent recipe to be reserved for special occasions with gatherings of friends and family so everyone enjoys a small piece of dessert (and you won’t be tempted with all the leftovers after!). To reduce the saturated fat content, substitute the butter with soft margarine that’s non-hydrogenated.
For Lemon Curd
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- zest and juice of 2 large lemons
For the Shortbread Crust
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 1/2 confectioner’s sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- Whisk together sugar and eggs in a 2-qt. saucepan until smooth; stir in zest and juice.
- Place over medium heat, and cook, stirring often, until thickened to the consistency of loose pudding.
- Remove from heat and add butter, a couple cubes at a time, until smooth; transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 325°. Combine butter, both sugars, and flour in a bowl and beat on medium speed of hand mixer until smooth and evenly combined. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined 8″ square baking pan, and press into the bottom.
- Bake until lightly golden and set, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300°, pour lemon curd over crust, and continue baking until slightly loose in the center, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely, and then refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares and dust with confectioners’ sugar to serve. Makes 16 bars.
Nutrition facts; (1 serving: 1 square):
Calories: 234.9 | Fat: 15.6g | Sodium: 14.5mg | Carbohydrates: 21.9 g | Fibre: 0.3g | Sugar: 14.4g | Protein: 2.6g | Iron: 0.6mg | Vitamin A: 140.2 RAE | Vitamin C: 0.0mg | Calcium: 10.3mg
*Based on an average daily intake of 2000 calories. May vary according to ingredient modifications.
Recipe by www.gimmesomeoven.com