Romantic Root Smoothie Bowl
Creating a recipe for the month of February required a little stretch of imagination. What exactly is the perfect recipe for a month of love (other than chocolate)?
There are cake recipes, brownie recipes, and tons of sweets for Valentine’s day, yet many cease to remember that it is a day to indulge, NOT an entire month. Did we really forget about those resolutions we made just about a month ago? In fact, we didn’t, or else you wouldn’t be on this page right now. What this recipe provides is not the indulgent factor of creamy chocolate goodness, but a hearty meal high in antioxidants, fiber, as well as nitrates found in beetroot. Now doesn’t that sound so much more romantic?
The color of this delicious and vibrant smoothie bowl is due to the addition of beets and raspberries. These fruits also account for the high amount of vitamins A and C -both antioxidants- which react with free radicals and protect your body from cell damaging particles. They also maintain healthy bones, circulation and produce visual pigments. As vitamin C is water-soluble, it is important that we get a daily intake of the nutrient, as excess will be flushed right out by the end of the day. The recipe ended up pairing beautifully as the vitamin C aids in the absorption of Iron. I decided to add some protein (just in case you don’t get enough in a day) to make this the perfect breakfast, post-workout (or post–netflix) to keep you satisfied until your next meal.
Nutrition facts; (1 serving): Calories: 380|Fat: 2.0g (3%)|Carbohydrates: 70g (14%)|Fiber: 13g (50%)| Sugar: 24g|Protein: 25g | Vit A: 148RE (112%)|Vit C: 29mg (48%)|Iron: 7mg (50%)|
*Based on an average daily intake of 2000 calories. May vary according to ingredient modifications.
- 1 small beet, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger root, grated
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 scoop protein powder (I used a plant-based brand)
- 2 pitted dates, halved
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water (or milk of choice)
- 1-2 tsp. matcha powder (Optional)
- Toppings of Your Choice:
Fruits (e.g. apples, berries, banana)
The list goes on…
- Chop up one small beetroot. (You may choose to peel it or simply scrub the outside.)
- Peel and grate the ginger root.
- Throw in the beet, ginger, and all other ingredients into a high-powered blender (or slowly incorporate ingredients if your blender isn’t strong enough). Blend well.
- Serve in a bowl and top with anything you desire!
Photo by: Alyshia Guan