Here’s the perfect lunch for the beautiful weather that’s been seeping into the Vancouver scene.
We are heading into summer at full-speed and that means our health is being re-prioritized (hopefully). This recipe is so customizable to any kind of diet and totally customizable to your own personal tastes. The best thing about it is that it’s super easy to pack up, and it’s absolutely divine to bring to a picnic, a hike, or just to work. No utensils are necessary to eat it, it’s so tasty, and it provides a lovely amount of carbs, protein, and fats. THE perfect meal… What is it? Yes, the sushi burrito.
The rice I used is a mix of brown and white rice and I found that it’s a great mixture to use on a sheet of seaweed because the glutinous exterior of white rice helps to hold all the contents together. My ingredients incorporated Asian as well as Southern American tastes (I found it to be an amazing mix), but you can customize it to your own liking.
You may choose to add chicken, tofu, different vegetables, experiment with different sauces (ex. Pico de gallo, guacamole, pesto, tomato sauce, the list goes on…)
Without further ado… Here are the stats! Have fun 🙂
Ingredients ( for 1 sushi burrito):
- ½ cup cooked brown rice (medium grain)
- ½ cup cooked white rice
- Nori sheet
- ¼ medium-sized avocado
- 1 medium carrot (julienned)
- ½ cup cucumber (julienned)
- 1/3 cup black beans
- Cilantro (to taste)
- 1tbsp Teriyaki sauce (I used San-J)
More filling ideas : Onions, basil, pico de gallo, sauerkraut, sesame seeds, peanut butter, GET CREATIVE!
- Cook the white and brown rice (separately) and mix them together (this can be premade and frozen then thawed anytime)
- Prep the vegetables and lay down the sheet of nori.
- Spread a cup of cooked (mixed) rice into the middle of the sheet of nori across its width.
- Lay the remainder of ingredients onto the bed of rice.
- Add a line of sauce on the edge of the sheet (parallel to the bed of rice) and roll the wrap up using the sauce as adhesive.
Note: a super easy way to make this a portable lunch is to wrap it with plastic, or stick it in a flat container!
NUTRITION FACTS(1 serving: 1 burrito):
Calories: 389|Fat: 7.9g |Sodium: 552mg |Carbohydrates: 75.7g |Fiber: 11g |Sugar: 5.3g|Protein: 11.5g | Iron: 20%|Vitamin A: 104% | Vitamin C: 10% | Calcium: 5%
*Based on an average daily intake of 2000 calories. May vary according to ingredient modifications.