Slow Cooker Chili
The perfect hearty dish for a cold winter’s night. Don’t be intimidated by the number of ingredients, most of them are from cans and spices! To make this dish healthier, you can substitute the lean beef with ground turkey or chicken and use low or no salt beef broth.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- (Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips or strips, thinly-sliced green onions, sour cream, salsa, etc.)
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, onion and garlic and cook for about 7-10 minutes or until the beef is completely browned, crumbling the beef with a spoon as it cooks.
- Drain and discard the excess fat/grease. Then transfer the beef into the bottom of a slow cooker. (Or transfer the stovetop-safe bowl back into the slow cooker.)
- Add the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper or seasonings if need be. Serve warm, with desired toppings. Makes 8-10 servings.
Nutrition facts; (1 Serving):
Calories: 443.3 | Fat: 16.5g | Sodium: 1239.6mg | Carbohydrates: 37.9 g | Fibre: 10.0g | Sugar: 6.8g | Protein: 36.3g | Iron: 6.1mg | Vitamin A: 53.1 RAE | Vitamin C: 20.3 | Calcium: 93.6mg
*Based on an average daily intake of 2000 calories. May vary according to ingredient modifications.
Recipe by www.gimmesomeoven.com