Butternut Squash Skillet Lasagna
A cast iron skillet is perfect for this recipe. Not only is it oven-safe, but it leeches iron into the dish, making the lasagna higher in iron than it would be if you used a glass or ceramic dish. To reduce the saturated fat content of this dish, choose cheese with less than 20% milk fat.
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into thirds
- 1/4 cups cubed (1-inch) butternut squash
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or veggie stock
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped sage
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- fresh sage leaves for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add in squash with 1/4 teaspoon salt, the pepper and the nutmeg. Stir to coat well and add in 1/3 cup stock. Cover and cook until softened, about 10-12 minutes. Once soft, remove squash with a large spoon (and any extra stock, though most of it will cook away) and place in a bowl. Mash well with a potato mashed or fork.
- At this time, prepare the water for the pasta and boil according to directions, shaving a minute or 2 off the time since you will cook the pasta more in the oven. While water is boil/pasta is cooking, continue with the rest of the recipe.
- With the skillet still hot, add in the other tablespoon of olive oil, then toss in onion with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Still well to coat, cooking for 2-3 minutes until slightly soft, then add in ground chicken with remaining salt to season. Break apart the chicken using a wooden spoon, continuing to do so as it cooks so it is in small bits. Cook until golden and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Once cooked, remove chicken and onions and place in a smaller bowl.
- With the skillet still hot, add in butter and once it sizzles, whisk in flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes until golden and nutty, then add in milk, stirring constantly. Continue to stir and one it begins to thicken and bubble on the sides, whisk in mascarpone and parmesan with a pinch of nutmeg, turning the heat down to low. At this time, add the mashed butternut squash back into the milk mixture and whisk to combine. It will probably be very, very thick so add in additional stock, beginning with 1/4 cup, stirring until it is just a bit thinner.
- Add in the chicken/onion mixture and slowly add the lasagna noodles, strategically placing them if needed. Top with sliced mozzarella, panko and sage leaves. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is golden. Serve immediately. Makes around 4 servings.
Nutrition facts; (1 Serving):
Calories: 572.9 | Fat: 35.3g | Sodium: 1183.6mg | Carbohydrates: 21.9 g | Fibre: 1.3g | Sugar: 10.0g | Protein: 44.7g | Iron: 2.5mg | Vitamin A: 198.8 RAE | Vitamin C: 2.0mg | Calcium: 732.7mg
*Based on an average daily intake of 2000 calories. May vary according to ingredient modifications.
Recipe by www.howsweeteats.com