Head Coach, Short Track Speed Skating
Position Type: Regular Full-Time
Department: High Performance
Direct Supervisor: Manager, High Performance and Fitness
Application Closing Date: Sunday, April 22, 2018
Anticipated Start Date: May 7, 2018
The Richmond Olympic Oval’s (ROO) High Performance Department delivers integrated technical coaching and sport services to community through to Olympic level athletes. The ROO was the long track speedskating venue for the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Reporting to the Manager of High Performance and Fitness, the Head Coach for Short Track Speed Skating will be responsible for overseeing year-round programming of Speed Skating at the Richmond Olympic Oval, including development, implementation, delivery and evaluation of programs.
The Head Coach is responsible for the delivery of a high-quality daily training environment and recruitment of skaters for Training to Train/Learning to Compete programming.
A day in the life of the Head Coach, Short Track Speed Skating includes,
• Responsible for on-ice coaching of athletes in ROO Speed Skating Performance Program.
• Responsible for the development of talent acquisition initiatives, including talent ID and talent transfer programs.
• Train and supervise ROO speed skating coaches in delivering first contact and accelerated speed skating development programs. Develop and maintain staff schedules as required.
• Oversee the financial management of speed skating programs including collaborating on preparation of annual operating and capital budgets, monitoring revenues and expenditures, supervision of registrations, compilation of program metrics and preparation of information for reports and presentations.
• Work in collaboration with ROO strength and conditioning coaches, dietitians, mental performance consultants and admin staff to plan and execute on Speed Skating programming.
• Delivery of BC Speed Skating Association (BCSSA) Academy programming.
• Provide coaching support to the Richmond Rockets Speed Skating Club with the end goal of developing skaters to transition into ROO programming.
• Manages the external relations with local clubs, the BCSSA and Speed Skating Canada.
• Liaise and collaborate with local clubs to help build awareness of the ROO’s speed skating programs and to position the ROO as the location for stage 2 skaters in the province.
• Assess hosting opportunities through Speed Skating Canada. Plan and execute on events and competitions. Requires collaboration with other departments including events, community sport and marketing and communication.
• Collaborate with the Oval marketing and communication team on the development of speed skating marketing plans and initiatives.
• Plan and deliver summer training camps.
• Develop and deliver presentations to athletes, parents and sport partners on ROO programs.
• Perform other duties as required.
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include,
• A university degree in kinesiology, coaching, physical education and/or a related field or equivalent experience.
• Minimum Comp-Dev NCCP Certified or equivalent.
• Minimum of 3 years of coaching experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience coordinating complex sport programs including development, planning, and implementation of ideas collaboratively with stakeholder groups.
• Previous supervision experience (including hiring, training, and performance management) would be an asset.
• Strong understanding of the principles Long Term Participant and Athlete Development (LTPAD)
• Demonstrated knowledge of speed skating and the various aspects of the sport.
• Experience with marketing mediums including web, print and multimedia is an asset.
• Familiarity with social media tools, channels and trends is an asset.
• Proven ability to organize events.
• Proven leadership skills and can inspire others.
• Ability to take initiative, strong organization and administrative skills.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community, including the speed skating community.
• Proven experience in building and sustaining effective relationships.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Strong computer skills– including the experience using programming registration software, intermediate to advanced level skills in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
• English required – Skills in other languages including Mandarin, Korean and French are considered assets, as are qualifications as an NCCP Learning Facilitator.
• Must be able to successfully complete a criminal record check.
• Available evenings and weekends.
Perks: Our workplace culture embraces People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation. We offer meaningful benefits that make a difference for you and your family:
- Access to 20, 000sq ft fitness centre with top class facilities, over 100 pieces of strength and cardio equipment, 4-storey climbing wall, YYoga studio, endless fitness classes, Olympic sized ice rinks and the Richmond Olympic Experience (ROX) museum
- Extended Health and Dental plan
- Health spending account
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Collaborative team environment
- Learning and development
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!