QUINOA DOUGH PIZZA
There is something about thin crust homemade pizza that just warms my soul.
May is mother’s month and what better way to spend a night than to bake some easy, healthy, and DELICIOUS pizza. Make this with your mom, your entire family, your boyfriend, your best friend, by yourself… The options are unlimited.
The best part about homemade pizzas is that they’re infinitely customizable. Top the pizza with WHATEVER your heart desires, although I did not decide to put any meat on top of my pizza, I did consider making some tofu bacon, or topping it with pineapples and vegetarian ham. In this recipe I’ll be incorporating very basic pizza ingredients but you can feel free to omit or add anything you’d like.
I found that the crust came out crunchy on the sides but light and chewy on the inside. I soaked my quinoa for an entire day, but you can experiment with soaking it less, or just overnight. I added nutritional yeast (not regular baking yeast!) to the dough as it adds a fragrant cheese taste without the dairy, you can find this at any Whole Foods, or even at Save-On-Foods in a Bob’s Red Mill package. Trust, it’s delicious and I put it on absolutely everything. Nutritional yeast contains vitamin B12, which is a staple for vegetarians and vegans.
Enough rambling. Here’s the recipe, so have fun and enjoy!
- 1 cup soaked quinoa (1/2 cup dry)
- ¼ – ½ cup water
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or any oil of your choice)
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)Topping ideas: Onions, tomato paste, cheese, nutritional yeast, fresh tomatoes, ham, chicken, spinach, peppers, pineapples..
- Soak the quinoa overnight (or longer until they sprout) then drain when you’re ready to make the pizza.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Celsius and lightly brush an oven-safe skillet with oil (1 tsp is enough), place the skillet inside the oven to warm for 10 minutes.
- Blend all the ingredients together until a batter- like mixture is formed. The texture should be runny but should be opaque like cream.
- Pour the batter into skillet and replace into the oven once it is fully heated, bake for 15 minutes, then flip onto the other side and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pizza base from the oven and this is when you can top with your favorite sauce and toppings 🙂
- When you are ready to serve, select the broil option on the oven and broil the pizza for 5-8 minutes until your toppings are lightly browned and your cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve warm.
NUTRITION FACTS (1 serving: ½ pizza without toppings):
Calories: 191|Fat: 4.8g |Sodium: 8.9mg |Carbohydrates: 30.3g |Fiber: 3g |Sugar: 0g|Protein: 7.1g | Iron: 23%|
*Based on an average daily intake of 2000 calories. May vary according to ingredient modifications.